Friday, January 13, 2012

The Week that Was

It has been another busy week and I'm ready for the weekend!

A productive week at work that ended with a couple of completed research questions. One a biography for an executive at my company. We don't have access to Who's Who so I did some Internet searching and searched a couple databases for news stories and found enough to go on.

The other success at work was a meeting with a couple of staff members who were looking for some data. We have an excellent resource for the data and I have had to come up to speed pretty quickly. Fortunately the company rep is really nice and very helpful and just a phone call away. I sat down my clients and talked about the database a little and then ran a search similar to what they wanted. We looked at results and I played with the search and they were happy. That's when they asked a couple of questions that I couldn't answer.

Technology to the rescue -- actually - the database rep Molly to the rescue!! I called her up and she had a few free minutes to answer our questions and explain a couple things. We all learned something.

So, by the end of the day my clients had their data and we are ready for the weekend!

The lesson here:

  • Prepare
  • Present
  • Listen
  • Respond
  • Get help as needed
In other professional news - I met with a committee of the DC Chapter of SLA. I am on the committee developing an employment portal. We have a new chair of the committee and she wanted to meet with everyone and keep the ball rolling.

We all got our tasks and mine is to revise the work I did previously and share it with everyone. Almost there! I will get that done this weekend and we will be one step closer. The thing is, I volunteered to do this at a time that I wasn't working. Then I started working and haven't had the free time to give to this project. But it is important to the chapter. So - back to work on that!

Fortunately Monday is a holiday for me. Time to remember Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment