Friday, October 21, 2011

Library networking and more!

Greetings all -- It has been a hectic few weeks. Part of the time I was out of town attending a band conference in Seattle, Washington. This was my third trip to the Emerald City and I didn't see much more than the hotel and our concert hall. Fortunately I played tourist on my last visit. I did enjoy some great times with friends and ate some delicious food - and still managed to loose 2 pounds!

But what has that to do with libraries???

Before I left I heard from a contracting company about a temp-to-hire position in Northern Virginia. I sent along my updated resume and there was interest so we scheduled an interview for the day after my return from the west coast. I took the Metro out to West Falls Church and found the bus to my destination. It was a gorgeous Fall day. I like fall!!

The company has great offices and the head librarian enjoys a vew to the treetops. The staff were all very friendly and professional. Two of the other librarians are also from West Virginia - Let's Go Mountaineers!. After what seemed a really good interview I started making my way home.

Later in the day I called the contractor to let them know that I had made it to the interview and that I thought it had gone well. My instincts were right - they offered me the job. I will start next week. It will be good to be working again. The temp job I had at National Agricultural Library was really good and I met some great folks so I'm looking forward to this venture too!

On Thursday of this week I was running errands in DC and I stopped by a former agency to visit with friends there. I had worked there for over 15 years. I learned that they are looking at some new software and I was able to give my opinions and share some contacts for more information. Always happy to help.

So now - another lovely fall weekend and a new job to look forward to!! (Please forgive my ending with a preposition.)

No comments:

Post a Comment