Monday, September 3, 2012

What was I thinking???

So last week I started my new job.  I feel that I am off to a good start.  Slowly getting up and running on the agency network - something that is a little trickier than it has been other places.  I'm meeting people and slowly starting to get a handle on the scope of my new job.

Some of the librarians who support my agency HQ stopped by to see me and rescue me.  With no network access I was reading whatever I could find.  I was delighted to see two friendly faces who led me through the labyrinth to the satellite library.  I even checked out a book!!

The next day I met another librarian and then another.  I finally talked to the librarian who has been holding the fort on the policy work that I will be doing.

Among other things I learned that word has gone out to all the agency librarians and other staff that I have been hired.  And, of course, they did what I would have done and most any of us would do - they searched me out on the Internet.

So they have seen my linked-in profile and looked over my past positions and that would have led them to this blog.

At the very least they should have a feel for the range of my experience and I trust some evidence of a sense of humor poked through.  Fortunately I don't reveal everything in the blog or linked in so I may be able to surprise them on occasion.

So far everyone has been really great and I look forward to meeting the rest of my colleagues at the agency and seeing how we can work together.

I had a new boss once who in our first conversation stressed that she wanted to have collaborative working relationship.  The hairs on the back of my neck bristled and, in the words of Han Solo, I thought, I've got a bad feeling about this. 

Well - my instincts proved me correct.  I look forward to working with and learning from the librarians in the districts etc. and we'll take it from there.  At this point they certainly know a lot more about the agency than I do!

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment